ADVERTISEMENT

Game day 12 pack

Chris Cappella

Mar 14, 2012
12 quick and random thoughts before RMU-EKU....

1) Size: maybe the most underrated part of the offense is the size of the skill position players. The top three receivers are all over 6'0". RB Rameses Owens is 6'2". For a young QB, that size should be used effectively in the red zone and could possible bail him out on some jump balls.

2) Duane Mitchell: he's kind of been lost in our coverage, huh? At this point, it's a given on what you expect. After a record breaking sophomore campaign I'm excited to see what he has in store. To say he's had a good camp would be a disservice. His consistency has been incredible. Duane is due for another big year.

3) Pacing: About 20 seconds between plays no matter what. Anything else might as well be a penalty for OC Darrin Hicks. This brings up two points. 1) how can the offense adjust if they're ahead late in a game? 2) a few three and outs and you have one tired (and angry) defense.

4) Brumbaugh: the RS FR is making his first career start. Last year, Paul Jones was running for his life behind an inconsistent offensive line. The group gelled as the year went along, but I'm sure everyone would appreciate the consistency. This also leads me to two other points. EKU is getting to see an inexperienced QB which makes me think they're going to try and knock him around early with some exotic blitz packages. Does Hicks call for some early runs to get his feet wet? Maybe a quick bubble screen? Or maybe he tries to start the game off 4-wide to open up the field.

5) Antwan Eddie: In my opinion, Eddie is the most important player. He's going to take away a teams best receiver, which will be big for an inexperienced secondary. He's also going to be asked to make plays as a punt and kick returner. It's a bit of a dicey proposition to ask him to play special teams, but he was one of the best punt returners in the country last year.

6) On the inside: No more Mike Cook and Kyle Cooper at ILB, but I think Mike Stojkovic is poised for a big season. He's back inside, a more natural position for him. Health is his biggest key.

7) On the outside: This front 7 should wreck havoc. Wait until you see OLB Nic Lamica. He's a genetic freak who flies off the screen when you see him on defense. The team is expecting big things from Forrest Mason too.

8) Special teams: The kicking game has to always be solid, but there can't be any mistakes when you're facing a better team. I've seen a few missed chip shots in practice and in the scrimmages. Also, keep an eye out on the long snapping. It's been a problem throughout camp and something the coaches have been working on after practice every day.

9) Wildcat: The infamous wildcat formation might be used, but expect Mitchell or converted receiver Marcus Prather to take the snaps. That formation will also keep Brumbaugh on the field, giving them the potential for some trickery.

10) Under the lights: This will be the one and only night game of the year. I expect a really good turnout as a little history is being made....

11) Banny Ball: John Banaszak will officially take the reigns as the new head coach. He'll be just the second one in school history. What many people do not know is Banaszak was previously a head coach at W&J for four years. He won coach of the year in all four years there. Good for Banaszak to get his shot with RMU. He had a chance to jettison RMU for his alma mater Eastern Kentucky but stayed loyal to the colonials.

12) Prediction: I think RMU can keep it close but utimately face too much of an uphill battle with a new QB and a lot of new faces on defense. You can catch tonight's game on NECFrontRow.com and ESPN 970 AM.

This post was edited on 8/28 5:08 PM by Chris Cappella

This post was edited on 8/28 5:09 PM by Chris Cappella

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT