ADVERTISEMENT

Football to the Big South

Did anyone else catch when Coach Clark was asked about resources etc., He said that's a question for king and Howard, but everyone know what we need to do for scholarships.

That is paraphrasing to be sure. Anyone hear about the amount of scholarships increasing? Maybe admin said roughly 5 more a year?

Also, maybe I missed this after the season, but admin said they had extended coach Clark.

Did anyone else catch when Coach Clark was asked about resources etc., He said that's a question for king and Howard, but everyone know what we need to do for scholarships.

That is paraphrasing to be sure. Anyone hear about the amount of scholarships increasing? Maybe admin said roughly 5 more a year?

Also, maybe I missed this after the season, but admin said they had extended coach Clark.
It doesn't cost them anything to add more scholarships, just how they define them.

To be a bowl counter and play FBS teams like Buffalo last year and Bowling Green this year, RMU had to offer the equivalent of 63 scholarships, the max for an FCS school. It could only offer 45 per NEC rules, so the other 18 had to be academic awards or general financial aid.

In the Big South, they'll just be counted as athletic scholarships rather than financial aid or academic scholarships.

My thought being is that maybe there are some guys that academics can get some guys the money, but maybe some guys need more athletic money due to grades etc.

Perhaps that is what Clark meant. He wants to be able to offer anyone up to the 63 as long as they are accepted.

I think he has brought a lot of great men into the program, but may want to have more financial flexibility to give more athletic vs academic.

My thought being is that maybe there are some guys that academics can get some guys the money, but maybe some guys need more athletic money due to grades etc.

Perhaps that is what Clark meant. He wants to be able to offer anyone up to the 63 as long as they are accepted.

I think he has brought a lot of great men into the program, but may want to have more financial flexibility to give more athletic vs academic.
Honestly, I think they just go after guys they like and figure it out later.

Right now, some guys might get close to a full athletic scholarship because they have good but not great grades and don't qualify for a lot of financial aid. Another guy might be just as talented but also really good in the classroom, so he gets less athletic money and more academic money. Another guy might be from a really poor family, so he ends up with a lot of financial aid and not as much athletic aid.

Now, it'll be all just athletic aid. Maybe they spread the shift out over a couple years because of the burden the pandemic has caused. But as far as overall University expenses, it shouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: Wurst_2_furst
I believe it means.... Jackson leaving NEC only, with rest of team, and not leaving RMU exclusively. If that’s what was inquired . I.M.O. No rumblings from any one associated with team about any non graduating player leaving team. T.M.K.

Reactions: LetsGoRomo2
Just in case there was any concern left over, Jackson took over the RMU Football Instagram page today. So he'd obviously still with the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT