ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Football Interview w/Coach Farison

Original_RMC

Oct 24, 2011
I had a chance to talk with Coach Farison this week about the off-season and Spring Football.
Enjoy!!

Coach,

Thank you for your time to discuss how Spring Ball 2016 is progressing for the Colonials.

1. How are things overall with the off-season & Spring Ball?

Things have been progressing well. The guys have been working extremely hard. We had a great winter workout and spring ball is going as planned. Overall, we have been pushing these kids to compete and they have answered the call so far.

2. After a 4-7 2015 season, does the staff feel that the team has turned the corner with their off-season work to get back into the NEC championship discussion for 2016?

I really feel that we have. Every team in the NEC at this point feels they should compete for the title. What will change results of that is what our guys will do over the summer to prepare themselves for the fall. How hard they work and dedicate themselves to their teammates this summer will determine a lot going into 2016.

3. Offensively we welcome Mike Miller back to Robert Morris. Being that you are on the front line against the new offense, what are some challenges during Spring Ball for your defense to adjust to the new offense?

Our biggest challenge is adjusting again to a new offense. With the new philosophy, we are seeing things for the 1st time as the offense installs. In the end it works out well for our kids because we get to see somethings that we will see and prepare for next season. This spring we have really focused on slowing things down and explaining the big picture of our D which has really helped.

4. Coach, let’s talk about some individual players, Ryan Lewis is going to be your veteran leader within the defense. Who are some early names that are catching the coach’s attention so far for defense, offense and special teams?

On defense, you really got to look at these seniors that have been doing a great job for us and really stepping up their leadership roles. Guys like Jimmy Masson, Andy Smigiera and Marcelis Branch to go along with Ryan. I have been very pleased with the progress we have made at every position.

On offense, though we are really young, you can really start to see this group buying in to our new philosophy. Sam Woods, Jamison Williams are a couple guys that have really started to step up. As a whole I am really looking forward to seeing the final product in the fall.

On special teams, spring is a time to get everyone reps and see what guys are ready to step into larger roles on special teams. A lot of our young guys are working hard to get on the field.

5. Recent news from Spring Ball was that starting RB, Cole Blake, has been injured and lost for the 2016 season. How is the offense adjusting to this lost?

We are hoping to have Cole ready for August. Its probably a little too early to know an exact date on his return. Cole has really turned into a leader on this team and expect big things from him.

6. And being a former QB like myself, well former QB for 3 days in camp then OL, how are the QBs adjusting to the new offense? Is there an open competition and can you give the fans an insight into who is going well in Spring Ball?

The QB’s are adjusting well. Some of them are learning a 3rd offense since they have been here. Coach Miller has done a great job in preparing that group. The Qb’s have been told it is an open competition and you can really see them pushing each other.

7. You lost two great senior linebackers heading into 2016 but return good depth with game experience. Talk about how your linebackers are progressing in Spring Ball and the competition going on.

Stock and Jake are big losses to this D. I have been very pleased with this current group though. This group probably has the most depth I have had since I began coaching LB’s. Athletically they all can play. Some of the younger guys have a real chance to compete for time but need to learn their plays and get more consistent. Fall camp will be exciting for sure.

8. How are the earlier enrolled Colonials adjusting to RMU?
They are all doing well. Don’t be surprised if you see them all play early.

9. Who are some players not in Spring Ball today that will be in the mix for possibility challenging the lineup in August?

Every one of the freshman that will be joining us next year has the opportunity to play. We recruited them to come in and compete. I can only speak for defense on this but I would expect to have more than a few guys on defense that will play right away if they can pick up the defense.

I had a chance to talk with Coach Farison this week about the off-season and Spring Football.
Enjoy!!

Coach,

Thank you for your time to discuss how Spring Ball 2016 is progressing for the Colonials.

1. How are things overall with the off-season & Spring Ball?

Things have been progressing well. The guys have been working extremely hard. We had a great winter workout and spring ball is going as planned. Overall, we have been pushing these kids to compete and they have answered the call so far.

2. After a 4-7 2015 season, does the staff feel that the team has turned the corner with their off-season work to get back into the NEC championship discussion for 2016?

I really feel that we have. Every team in the NEC at this point feels they should compete for the title. What will change results of that is what our guys will do over the summer to prepare themselves for the fall. How hard they work and dedicate themselves to their teammates this summer will determine a lot going into 2016.

3. Offensively we welcome Mike Miller back to Robert Morris. Being that you are on the front line against the new offense, what are some challenges during Spring Ball for your defense to adjust to the new offense?

Our biggest challenge is adjusting again to a new offense. With the new philosophy, we are seeing things for the 1st time as the offense installs. In the end it works out well for our kids because we get to see somethings that we will see and prepare for next season. This spring we have really focused on slowing things down and explaining the big picture of our D which has really helped.

4. Coach, let’s talk about some individual players, Ryan Lewis is going to be your veteran leader within the defense. Who are some early names that are catching the coach’s attention so far for defense, offense and special teams?

On defense, you really got to look at these seniors that have been doing a great job for us and really stepping up their leadership roles. Guys like Jimmy Masson, Andy Smigiera and Marcelis Branch to go along with Ryan. I have been very pleased with the progress we have made at every position.

On offense, though we are really young, you can really start to see this group buying in to our new philosophy. Sam Woods, Jamison Williams are a couple guys that have really started to step up. As a whole I am really looking forward to seeing the final product in the fall.

On special teams, spring is a time to get everyone reps and see what guys are ready to step into larger roles on special teams. A lot of our young guys are working hard to get on the field.

5. Recent news from Spring Ball was that starting RB, Cole Blake, has been injured and lost for the 2016 season. How is the offense adjusting to this lost?

We are hoping to have Cole ready for August. Its probably a little too early to know an exact date on his return. Cole has really turned into a leader on this team and expect big things from him.

6. And being a former QB like myself, well former QB for 3 days in camp then OL, how are the QBs adjusting to the new offense? Is there an open competition and can you give the fans an insight into who is going well in Spring Ball?

The QB’s are adjusting well. Some of them are learning a 3rd offense since they have been here. Coach Miller has done a great job in preparing that group. The Qb’s have been told it is an open competition and you can really see them pushing each other.

7. You lost two great senior linebackers heading into 2016 but return good depth with game experience. Talk about how your linebackers are progressing in Spring Ball and the competition going on.

Stock and Jake are big losses to this D. I have been very pleased with this current group though. This group probably has the most depth I have had since I began coaching LB’s. Athletically they all can play. Some of the younger guys have a real chance to compete for time but need to learn their plays and get more consistent. Fall camp will be exciting for sure.

8. How are the earlier enrolled Colonials adjusting to RMU?
They are all doing well. Don’t be surprised if you see them all play early.

9. Who are some players not in Spring Ball today that will be in the mix for possibility challenging the lineup in August?

Every one of the freshman that will be joining us next year has the opportunity to play. We recruited them to come in and compete. I can only speak for defense on this but I would expect to have more than a few guys on defense that will play right away if they can pick up the defense.

Nice... Good interview man

Thanks Original_RMC!
You mentioned Ryan Lewis, is he someone that you expect can have a breakout year and be one of the top DL in the Conference?
Coach Farison mentioned Sam Woods. Has he been moved to offense? As a RB?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT