ADVERTISEMENT

Truly disappointing loss to MSM

RMU_Fan

Dec 7, 2011
Embarrassing loss after holding a 17 point second half lead at home. I have to say they looked like a poorly coached team. I know they are mostly newcomers, however they are largely veteran upperclassmen. Terrible shot selection, quick shots, untimely turnovers, missed free throws, and how could we fail to cover the backcourt when you are shooting FTs with a 3 point lead and just a few seconds left in regulation and allow an uncontested 3 to tie the game is incredible.

Yep! I expected the Colonials to be a strong shooting team this year. I thought Flavors would be a starter and a big scorer. Maybe he is still recovering from injury? Farris is an outstanding 3 point shooter, but apparently he has been injured all season. Acunzo is a big man who is also a good outside shooter, but he has seen limited playing time, and did not get into the game against MSM. Green is an exciting player, and although he did not shoot for a high percentage when he was at Byrant, it was reasonable to expect him to shoot better than he has shown so far this season. Dunn has only shot 5 three pointer, and made 2 of them, he may not be expected to be a strong outside shooter, but should be solid at making layups and shorter shots, but he is only hitting a third of his FG attempts. Williams has hit some key shots at times and is a good shooter, he was 0-6 from 3 in the first two games, but is 4-7 in the last two games as his playing time has increased. Winston is a respectable outside shooter, although sometimes his shot selection is not the best.

The first two games were against extremely talented teams, I thought the Colonials showed a lot of improvement against a good Ohio U team. They looked good in the first half against MSM, and then fell apart in the second half. The Colonials have the talent and size to be very competitive in the Horizon League this year. Hopefully, this team will jell by the time League play begins.

Last edited:
I think you're seeing the pitfall of having so many new faces. There isn't that cohesion yet, especially with one of your expected starters (Farris) not available.

They've also faced four tournament caliber teams - Kentucky is nationally ranked, Ohio was in the NCAA Tournament last year and is one of the premier mid-majors, UCF has almost its entire rotation back and is expected to contend for an NCAA tourney spot, and Mount St. Mary's was in the tournament last year as the NEC champ.

It would not surprise me if this team wins just one or two games in non-conference play, but is far more competitive in Horizon League play.

I think you're seeing the pitfall of having so many new faces. There isn't that cohesion yet, especially with one of your expected starters (Farris) not available.

They've also faced four tournament caliber teams - Kentucky is nationally ranked, Ohio was in the NCAA Tournament last year and is one of the premier mid-majors, UCF has almost its entire rotation back and is expected to contend for an NCAA tourney spot, and Mount St. Mary's was in the tournament last year as the NEC champ.

It would not surprise me if this team wins just one or two games in non-conference play, but is far more competitive in Horizon League play.
You're much more understanding than me when it comes to the MSM game. They were impatient and had no clue in the second half. No doubt a 45% 3 point shooter in Farris and a 6'11 presence in Stone would have helped, however a team of experienced players was in an ideal position to win handily by running some clock, taking good shots, protecting the ball and playing defense, and somehow came away losers. I hope they do turn it around however I am not hopeful after that game.

You're much more understanding than me when it comes to the MSM game. They were impatient and had no clue in the second half. No doubt a 45% 3 point shooter in Farris and a 6'11 presence in Stone would have helped, however a team of experienced players was in an ideal position to win handily by running some clock, taking good shots, protecting the ball and playing defense, and somehow came away losers. I hope they do turn it around however I am not hopeful after that game.
They're experienced as individuals but not as a group. It's one thing to build that cohesion in practice but it requires additional building in games against opponents.

It was absolutely a missed opportunity and a painful one considering how tough the overall schedule is, but this team was always going to have to do the heavy lifting in the Horizon. The opportunity is still in front of them.

Hey guys, what happened to your team? I saw you were down to playing the freshman and a walk on last game. Where is Green and Acounzo. Obviously Flavors is a big loss but Green might have been your best transfer on paper. Very disappointing you can't stay healthy. Is there more to it? Is Green and Acounzo coming back? Whats up with Stone. Any information would be helpful it's hard to find on what is going on.

Hey guys, what happened to your team? I saw you were down to playing the freshman and a walk on last game. Where is Green and Acounzo. Obviously Flavors is a big loss but Green might have been your best transfer on paper. Very disappointing you can't stay healthy. Is there more to it? Is Green and Acounzo coming back? Whats up with Stone. Any information would be helpful it's hard to find on what is going on.
On tonight's broadcast they said Green was on Covid protocol and was actually sick (he played tonight), and Farris was out to start the year due to a non-basketball related concussion. Stone was in street clothes so I suppose he is injured.

I appreciate the info, what about Williams now, I see he's missed the last two games. Any info on Acunzo, I think he was a valuable player as well. Doesn't seem like you guys can catch a break.

I appreciate the info, what about Williams now, I see he's missed the last two games. Any info on Acunzo, I think he was a valuable player as well. Doesn't seem like you guys can catch a break.
I can see guys missing a game or two due to Covid precautions. Much better than just canceling games. Acunzo seems like it might be something else.

Williams was out with an ankle injury. Still winless against D1 competition. Hard to understand the fall the past two years.

I watched the game last night, FGCU is a good team, I thought you played better. RMU has played the 14th hardest SOS in the nation so there is that. Certainly not easy and to now have to go back on the road for 4 more straight. All that said what's baffling to me is how your guys are underperforming. Winston, Green, and Dunn are all guys that have had better seasons before on there resumes, on actual top 125 good solid teams when they were younger. I really expected way better out of them. I would hold out some hope that when they get into conference play they start rounding more into previously shown form.

ADVERTISEMENT