ADVERTISEMENT

Time to start fresh, forget the past

GoRMU

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
It's time for the RMU football team to start fresh, and forget the past three games. We knew the offense would struggle with such a young offensive line. Then to lose the starting and backup QBs, yikes. With a totally inexperienced QB, working behind a totally inexperienced line, RMU got embarrassed by AB. After that loss it was obvious the next two games would not go well. Dayton has a solid program, with a lot of experience on this year's team, and YSU is just a superior opponent, that played a competitive game against WVU the week before.

Now we have a winnable game upcoming. Hopefully, we will see that the OL is making progress, and that either our starting QB is ready to come back, or his replacement to ready to up his game. After Malone, Liberty will be a challenging opponent, but then NEC play begins. If healthy, this team should be able to compete, and win against any team in the Conference. It's time to start fresh on this season, a win against Malone is crucial to gain some confidence and to launch a turn around this season. Go Colonials!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: M4Fam
As others have mentioned, this is certainly an rebuilding year. For it to be a success, I think we really need to see continued progress and growth from the young guys in particular.

Positives I have seen:

Offense

-The Oline looks a lot better to me as a unit. There are still breakdowns, but they seem to getting further apart and as a group they seem to be progressing. This obviously needs to continue. Most importantly, there is a lot of talent and potential there.

-I might be crazy, but I thought Romanchak looked a lot better in 2nd half against YSU. Seemed like coaches might have opened the playbook a little for him and let me go. I think again, if it is a true rebuilding year, you have to let the guys play. Mistakes have been made, and will continue to be made, as long as the team grows from the mistakes.

- WR: Hard for me to say much about WR without seeing game in person, not sure if they are getting free or when they do QB is under pressure or can’t find them. Hopefully one of you will have some better info on this. It does seem clear to me that there is a lot of potential in this group, and hopefully they will be able to showcase it sooner rather than later. In addition, have not heard anything else about the transfer from UVA. Maybe just having him sit out this year?

-TE I think again there is a lot talent at this position. I think it was 82 or 83 that caught that long pass against YSU that was brought back due to a flag. 88 also seems to be a really good player also. Again, loads of potential.

RB: Satcher seems to hit the hole hard and can make guys miss in open space. I think if team can establish some balance, he will thrive.

D:

I think the D has done a tremendous job. A couple of long runs by YSU, but they were going to get their points.

I really like 90 and 92, both freshman. Think they will be amazing next year, and really dominate as Juniors and Seniors.

Overall

I think almost everything is in place for this team to do amazing things in a year or 2. Just need to tighten up the O and bring a QB along to run the O and put some points on the board.

Sorry for the ramble, would love to hear some others thoughts or differing opinions.

Going back to the YSU game. It was night & day comparing the 1st half vs the 2nd half. I'm not talking about the stats but talking about how the team played.
The OL started firing off the ball better, Mistakes were still there but it was a different unit out there.
Romanchak looked like a different QB. He took a few hits in that 1st half and looked like a vet out there in the 2nd half. He stood in the pocket when pressing was coming and delivered great passes. He is in a tough position being forced to play so early in his career but he looked much better in that 2nd half (and this was before YSU brought in the subs).

Sacher gets better the more touches he has. And with the improved OL play, he is getting some holes.

WRs to me is still a little bit of a mystery because we haven't matured our passing yet. Hopefully this week at home we will see their talent.

The D year after year always answers the call. Didn't feel that the call against Branch was targeting but it was a bing-bing play and tough. It was a judgement call and went against the young man.

One major bright spot was Adam Check and his punting. You never want your punter to set a school record for most punts in a game and yards but Check looked like his old self with his punts. And when you have a weapon like him, he can change the field position battle with one kick.

Moving forward, this is a must win game for RMU. Coming home after two tough road games, they need to come out fast and build on that 2nd half from YSU.
You are slowly seeing potential. It's there. It might take until the NEC opener at home against St. Francis for all three phases to come together.
Expect to see a sharper RMU team on Saturday night especially with the offense.

See to me this is a lose lose situation just like week one was. If RMU comes out and struggles this week and say wins 7-3 or something along those lines it wont be good enough. If they come out and dominate it was "what their suppose to do". Why I am very against scheduling these division two games. Would much rather play schools who are at "higher caliber" then these division 2 schools

I'll take do what your supposed to do right now and as this group picks up steam that means win the ones your supposed to, be competitative always and don't repeat the same mistakes. Those are all wins.

Reactions: Confusion23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT