ADVERTISEMENT

Surprising: Jalen Hawkins to transfer

ColonialInsider

Aug 26, 2017
This is a surprise, not just because of the timing, but of the fact that he likely was going to start this year. Jalen Hawkins is leaving RMU.

Yeah, at this point of the summer it seemed that we would not be losing anyone to transfer, but I guess that was too good to be true. Too bad, I had high hopes for Jalen. Outstanding talent with lots of energy, had to transition from JUCO this past season, he seemed ready to have a great year. Who knows? I wish him the best.

I wonder if it has to do with Horizon league delaying start of season..... when others have not???????

I wonder if it has to do with Horizon league delaying start of season..... when others have not???????
The Horizon League has not delayed the start of the basketball season.

It has delayed the start of the fall season, which nearly every collegiate conference has done.

So now we need a mid, late summer recruit. Sometimes they don’t work out well, but sometimes you get a Dante Treacy! It may be a bit of a shot in the dark this year with limited ability to scout players the past few months. Coach Toole and staff have a lot of contacts, they may have to trust recommendations from those contacts more so at this time.

Last edited:
This is a surprise and a disappointment. I'm sure he has his reasons. I don't think playing time would be one of them. Sorry to see him go. Good luck young man.

Looks like Hawkins will land at Norfolk State. It would be interesting to know the dynamics behind this move.

Yeah, it's hard to know what may have motivated Jalen to make this move considering that he looked to be a potential starter for the Colonials. I certainly do not view this as a move up for him. Norfolk is getting an exciting player. I wish Jalen the best.

Ever since it came to light that Jalen was entering the transfer portal, I have been watching to see if the Colonials picked up a late recruit. I have not seen anything. A lot of times late recruits don't work out, but sometimes they do, Dante is a prime example of one who did.

I think a previous RMU transfer went to Norfolk. Would think he is going to be an immediate starter there.

ADVERTISEMENT