ADVERTISEMENT

RMU off to 0-2 start. Thoughts:

ColonialCrazy

Oct 28, 2011
The Colonials lost Sunday to the North Carolina Tar Heels 103-59 in a game where they simply did not have enough athleticism and size to compete with the number six team in the country. North Carolina dominated on the glass and got virtually all of their points around the rim. Kennedy Meeks set the tone early and got the Colonials in foul trouble, while Brice Johnson finished them off. Meeks and Johnson scored a combine 42 points and collected 20 rebounds. You can read a full report at the link below.

While the result was another beat down, there was a lot more good that came from this game, then the opener.

Some thoughts:

First off, Robert Morris will be fine. This is not to suggest Andy Toole and the team are happy with 0-2 start, but lets remember, this is a team incorporating a slew of newcomers, are missing a veteran leader and likely starter (Aaron Tate, who should return soon) and have lost to an underrated Lafayette team who will finish in the top 60 offensively (and return everyone from last year) and North Carolina, who will compete for a National Title (and is one of the biggest, most athletic teams in college basketball).

There was a lot of good that came from that game Sunday. First, it was an excellent experience for a young team that is going through this for the first time. After the game, Toole said "As the year goes on, our guys will look back at this experience and it will help them. Especially the young guys."

Speaking of those young guys, how about Marcquise Reed? 24 points, 10-15 shooting, looked great in transition and the halfcourt, and provided a huge spark for RMU early in the game to keep UNC at arm's length for a period of time. The freshman has played really well in two games and looks like a great find for Robert Morris and Andy Toole.

"Marcquise was terrific. It was a positive stride against a quality opponent. He made good decisions in the flow of offense," Toole said. I'm not going to say just yet that RMU has found a replacement for Karvel Anderson or anything like that, but Reed is a player that could be a huge key for this years team. We will see just how much RMU uses the freshman and if he can earn a spot in the starting lineup going forward.

The frontcourt was not all that competitive Sunday night, but it's unfair to judge them against one of the best in the country. They will need to be better, and Bradley will be a good test. Getting Tate back will help.

Elijah Minne, while still very raw, showed some good signs throughout the game, though in small spurts. You can see the athleticism. He has a lot to learn, but looks like he has the traits and physical talent to be a very good player.

Stephan Bennett has got to be better, but I'm going to give him some time. He didn't have a shot Sunday, and Lafayette destroyed the high post putting him in tough situations all game. Talk to me Wednesday and we will know more.

Lucky Jones is off to a very slow start, but again I'm going to give him more time before I really worry. Something tells me Jones has a big game Wednesday at Bradley. The effort is there, and the past tells us the talent (and production) will come.

RMU still lacks an identity, but that's OKAY. This is such a young team. There will be a lot of bumps in the road. Coming into the season, this team reminded me a lot of Andy Toole's first team. That group was looking to replace multiple vet's and starters (Mezie Nwigwe, Dallas Green, Rob Rob etc) and had a bunch of players in new roles (sound familiar). They started the year 4-8, and had players playing all over the floor in different roles.

Then Toole found out who fit where, who made the plays he needed them to make and they went 12-6 in NEC play and made it to the title game (losing in OT).

This team will need practice, game experience, and has a lot of lessons to learn. In the RMU season preview, we wrote..."The team will likely start off slow with some speed bumps along the way. There are a few reasons for this. The team is young, inexperienced, and is facing a very tough non-conference schedule. However, as conference season starts the team will likely find their identity. The defensive scheme and rotations will likely be set and that should allow the team to get in a groove."

Sticking to that prediction.

UNC 103 RMU 59

Friday night was the perfect storm: a young team, whose best player and leader got into immediate foul trouble, that couldn't buy a basket taking on an experienced, disciplined team. Last night was a significant improvement over Friday, we were just overmatched. Marquise has really impressed. He is very smooth, can create shots and has shown tremendous poise. I feel for Lucky because he will be the focus of all our opponents until other folks step up. Hopefully, Marquise will create some openings for him. I also thought Jafar played quite well last night. Kavon and Stephan have really struggled which is concerning but, obviously, it's very early at this point. I'm sure we'll have more bumps these next few weeks but Andy will have them squared away before NEC play starts. Go Colonials!

Well put by everyone!

I think it really is only a matter of time before Reed cracks the starting lineup. RMU doesn't have another scoring option in the starting five with the way things are right now. That's not meant to be a knock on David Appolon, the current starting two-guard, but Reed might bring that punch RMU needs right now.

There is only one significant concern I have at this moment and that's the frontcourt. The combo of Bennett-Minnie-Gomis has two points on the year. Two. And that was off a steal and layup by Elijah Minnie. It's one thing to not score, but there has to be production with everything else. it scares me that this team has a lot of guys that can get to the rim and no big men who hang out around the rim for A) dump off passes or 2) put backs off misses.

I think this will get better with Tate coming back, but Bennett and Minnie are both perimeter guys. That tide has to change a little bit.

The defense is scary but RMU has also played two really talented offensive teams. Lafayette will hang 100 on some teams. UNC killed RMU with their size and got the Colonials with foul trouble. However, if the 2-3 zone is to persist, the high post/short corner defense has to improve greatly. When RMU did make UNC jump shooters, they made some runs.

I do believe Rmu will get better but a couple of things has to happen. First they must play DEFENSE the team has a whole are not good defenders on ball or off. Second they have to get scoring from the perimeter , I like Lucky but he can't carry the team. What is the deal with Chuck? I think he can help with the scoring and no disrespect to Dave but Chuck is a better scoring threat. Third need a true point guard no disrespect to Kavon but I believe Jafar is better suited to run the point. I like Kavon but he doesn't get everybody involved, I don't like the way he runs the team. Fourth the front court is weak and I'm not so sure how much Aaron can do at 6'5. I'm not sold on Elijah the kid has to get stronger and just looking at him he isn't intimating me. He has no inside game. Fifth Hawk in two games has zero points and one rebound, that is unacceptable from the biggest guy on the team and still playing starter minutes. Not to mention he looks uninspired. I like Leo plays hard. Sixth I like Reed but he is only a slasher not sure he plays much defense, teams will start to adjust to him.

The bench is talented and thus far has carried the team
, but unless Andy gets contributions from the veterans (Lucky, Chuck, Dave, Hawk, and Hawk) this will be a long season.

Trending101, I agree with a lot of what you have to say.

First off, Chuck for a reason likely unknown to the media and the public has seen very limited action. He was one of the last players off the bench in the opener against Lafayette when RMU was desperate for offense. He played limited minutes in the blowout to UNC, and missed the exhibition before the season started entirely. Not sure if it is injury, illness, or coaches decision because of practice habits or something else, but I would expect to see his minutes take a slight increase as he works his way back. App is playing over 22 per game, Chuck only 9 right now. Cant see that happening all season.

I have really like what I've seen in Jafar Kinsey but he is very raw and has a lot to learn. Kavon certainly needs to pick his play up but I don't see him losing his starting role any time soon. Last year, Kavon was asked to basically not screw up too much and get the ball to Karvel Anderson or get to the rim. He has a lot to learn now that he has to run the team (as Myers-Pate did last season). It will take him some games before he truly understands the role and how to best assist his teammates.

As for the front court, you are dead on! Everyone needs to be better. Aaron Tate is certainly no Dwight Howard, but he at least understands positioning and brings a toughness to the table that none of the current guys have shown thus far. Stephan Bennett has not been good by any stretch of the imagination, but a good amount of that is due to some awful high post D, and easy penetration. As the middle man of the zone, that's asking for quick fouls and getting exposed. I think he has let that effect him on both ends and has yet to check in mentally.

Only two games in, one against a season'd team, another against a national title contender. Wednesday will be a good measuring stick before another huge test in Georgetown.

Not to mention, size being what it is, but Tate was by far and away the teams best rebounding big last year. His defensive rebounding percentage was second on the team to Lucky. He will have a large impact on the team.

I agree Tate will help a lot. Do we like Dave at the two or three position? I like him at the three, I think it suits his style of play better. It will enable him to offensive rebound more. He had success last year at the three position. Tomorrow will be another test, I'm hoping to see progress.

In the NEC, I would like to see Dave at the three backing Lucky up or playing a small lineup with Luck at the 4. Personally, Chuck Oliver and Marcquise Reed can carry the load at the 2 with App playing a few minutes there. More to get perimeter shooting on the court then anything else. When RMU plays the bigger teams (UNC/Georgetown to name a few) App is probably a bit undersized to play the three.

It also depends on the situation and all that. Im sure we will see a few lineups this year with Kavon/Reed/App/Luck and a Big.

App is such a unique player in that he makes a ton of winning plays and can really play some D when he is locked in, so it's essential that Toole get him on the court with such a young inexperienced team. But he is certainly more of a tweener.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT