ADVERTISEMENT

RMU @ JMU Games Notes and Information

Not surprising JMU will have a size advantage up front on both sides of the ball.

Some things I noticed from the depth chart:
- Houser is the only receiver among the six listed who caught a pass last year. The others are either transfers or stepping into new roles.
- Steve DePaul and Geno Pellegrini have experience in the program, but a true freshman is George Martin's listed backup.
- Brady Ours was a key part of the linebacker corps last year but isn't on the two-deep. Injury, maybe?
- Same with Garrett Fairman, who ended up playing a fair amount on the defensive line, and Ezra Tupola, who played a lot inside.
- Defense as a whole has a lot of changes. Eight guys on the two-deep weren't on the roster last time out.
- The defensive line has more size than I recall, which is probably good considering the upgrade in competition.

JMU wins 36-16. Game was tied at 16 at the half.

That's a very positive result. I'm sure JMU was taking RMU a bit lightly, but to see the defense play at that level against an FCS powerhouse and to have some offensive success is big.

If RMU plays like that, it'll be very competitive this spring and this fall in the Big South.

Great performance from the team today. Very exciting. I still feel that they are a QB away from being a good team to a great team.

Too bad the offense couldn't get it going in the second half. Still a strong game against a very good team.

Great performance from the team today. Very exciting. I still feel that they are a QB away from being a good team to a great team.
1 game and 1 qb benching. Nice. I just watched game again and I would disagree. This is a good team with a chance to do good things in conference. There are a few coaches in the big south right now who are worrying a lot more and gonna game plan a lot more for colonials. A few during game injuries hurt the team down the stretch. Good showing by ALL players and coaches.

Didn’t mention anything about benching a QB. It’s honest feedback about inconsistent throws at times. Even an article prior to the game noted JMU’s coach noted Martin’s huge arm that they respect but he does have moments of missing throws. If the game plan was to throw every deep ball short (minus TD pass to Hanks Jr) then it was executed perfectly.

Hopefully in two weeks against Monmouth we will see better consistency. I think we can all agree that JMU made some half time adjustments on Def to take away things RMU did that was very successful.
Still a great performance with the staff/game plan and the players out on the field.

The Colonials put a young team on the field. Only two seniors starting on offense and also two on defense, also starting were two true freshmen, one each on each side of the ball. There were some experienced players that I would have expected to be in the starting lineup, or at least getting on the field. I assume they were injured, or possibly some missing due to COVID issues. With the Colonials playing so many young guys, the future looks bright. Go Colonials!

I agree with ORMC, I big time QB makes this team GREAT. Not that Martin is bad, but a great QB changes things dramatically.

Could Martin be great, yes he can. And I think he has a chance as a player and leader to take a huge step forward. He doesn’t have to pass for over 300yds per game.

Could Martin be great, yes he can. And I think he has a chance as a player and leader to take a huge step forward. He doesn’t have to pass for over 300yds per game.
Plus, you have to figure RMU will have better success running the ball against teams that aren't ranked No. 2 in the country. We know Alijah Jackson is a solid back and he'll probably fair a little bit better against the Big South competition.

ADVERTISEMENT