ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Robert Morris emerges as Horizon League candidate

I think Patriot or CAA affiliate member makes most sense geographically for football/lacrosse, but im not sure RMU is a fit with them.

Big South seems to be the most logical answer if you look at history, ie Monmouth. Would be fun to play them again, hopefully Duquesne and SFU will want to continue playing, don't much care about continuing with any other NEC teams in football.

Not sure a move could happen for football this year, lots would depend on contracts etc and open dates the other schools have. Now if things have been in the works behind the scenes, and big South or pioneer knows RMU is coming, may have that built into schedule. Would be interesting to check by week's we schools to see if it could happen.

Pioneer, while it has good football at the top is no where near the big South, and they are adding NCA&T who is a really good team. Also talk of them adding SC State for football.

Interesting times for RMU. I think whatever the path is, we will know in the near future. Either moving on/up or staying put.

In my opinion, moving to the Horizon League only make sense if it would be a significant financial benefit for RMU. The Horizon League teams are not, for the most part, going to draw more fans to UPMC Events Center. If the Horizon League has a TV contract that brings in significantly more revenue than the TV revenue that the NEC brings in (that likely would not take much) that could be a benefit. Possibly travel costs could be lower for the Colonials than for travel to the NEC schools. The Horizon League is a more competitive conference, but it is still a one bid NCAA Tournament conference. So, instead of winning the conference and going to the NCAA Tournament once every four or five years, it might be once every fifteen or twenty years. The RMU fans generally only get excited and show up in bigger numbers when RMU hosts championships. The teams in the Horizon League are generally better (more talented) but they are not the well known teams that are going to attract more fans to RMU's home games. Once again, if it would be a significant financial benefit for RMU, then the Colonials need to make the move, if not, the Colonials should stay in their cozy NEC home where they can continue to have success.

Reactions: Wurst_2_furst
Everyone should agree that the horizon is a better conference. Rmu had trouble getting home and homes with better conferences teams , probably horizon has been the most active but that could be a sign of what is coming. Duquesne coach recently said they don't do home and home with NEC teams.

Horizon has been a 2 bid team in the past, NEC never.

I also have faith that with coach Toole it will not be an every 15 year thing. We have all seen how he can recruit to one of the historically worst conferences. Might not be a huge jump up, but the MAAC certainly is not either. As long as Toole is at RMU, they can win.

The writing was on the wall when they committed to the new gym. That is not a gym you build for NEC.

All of the Horizon League games are on ESPN3/ESPN+. Some games are on ESPN/ESPN2.

Probably not a lot of money there, but there'd be no more reliance on NECFrontRow.

Great find ORMC! I think it's better than the MAAC. They apparently have a summit leuage challenge series, and per their message boards they have been getting home and homes with mvc, Summit, and MAC teams.

Reactions: ColonialCrazy
Have heard the Horizon may explore starting lacrosse or form an official partnership with an existing conference to place its lacrosse teams in. Detroit Mercy is in the MAAC, Cleveland State is an independent, and YSU has a women's team. RMU has men's and women's. The MAAC might be the landing spot.

NEC can afford to deny RMU a request to stay in lacrosse, just like football, because it has enough schools.

As for football, I'd expect the schedule to stay the same this year but RMU not allowed to compete for the NEC crown. Then move to the Big South in 2021, which may not be as bad travel wise as we think. Lot of moving parts with teams there.

I am really trying to get excited by the change in conferences, but I am not, I just don't get it, unless there is a significant financial benefit for the University. The teams in the Horizon League are not going to attract more fans to come to the Colonials' home games. Local fans would be more excited if RMU played University of Pittsburgh, Johnstown (D-2)) than University of Wisconsin, Green Bay. In football, they certainly would be more excited if the Colonials played IUP (D-2), rather than Campbell or Kennesaw State. Duquesne plays in the Atlantic 10 and local fans have little interest in seeing games against the quality opponents in that conference. I understand that moving to the Horizon League and to the Big South are steps up in competition. Okay, what does that get you? It will be more difficult to win championships, or even to have winning seasons. More RMU fans will show up to see their team win games while competing in the NEC than to see the Colonials as a middle of the pack or losing team in the Horizon League or Big South Conference. I know that the Horizon League has had multi teams in the NCAA Tournament in the past, but that is the past, they have also lost their better programs. Generally, it's a one bid conference. If the programs in the Horizon League are all about even and the likelihood of the Colonials winning the men's basketball tournament is once every twelve years for the honor of maybe being a 13 or 14 seed, and then having maybe a twenty percent chance of winning a game in the Big Dance, rather than a play-in game or a 16th seed, that does not seem to be enough reason to make the change in conferences. I know every fan of every low and mid major program dreams of their team being the next Gonzaga, just as every lottery player dreams of winning the Powerball. Good luck with that! This all seems to be even a worse move for football. Moving up in competition, having to offer move scholarships for the honor of having extremely long bus rides to every away game against teams with names most people from this area have never heard of, why? With that said, I do have great confidence in President Howard and AD Chris King. They would not make the decision to move conferences lightly, I am certain they have analyzed these moves from every angle. Assuming the reports are correct and the conference moves are going to happen, as a long-time Colonials' fan, hopefully I will soon be excited by all of this, I am just not there yet. Go Colonials!

Now there is no official announcement from HL or the Big South or RMU on this possible change. Right now, this is all just one huge potential.
But lets look at RMU football. If this is true...thank god. For years I was worried that football could be considered a program on the chopping block with heavy expense and bad performances.

I would be very excited for the football program to see what it could develop into. The NEC is a stepping stone for FCS, we know that. Albany, Monmouth, Stony Brook all knew this.

Yes I know that RMU will have to increase their scholarships which will require a larger budget. But this will put RMU on the map over the Dukes locally. As a (potential) larger FCS program, FBS transfers and top tier WPIAL and PIAA talent will consider RMU now. Plus this could open up a larger recruiting pool in the Deep South.

Travel will be a big topic. RMU was very spoiled in the NEC because of SFU and the Dukes being so close.
NEC Teams Total Mileage = 3,031
Big South Teams Total Mileage = 4,863
SFU = 96 miles from RMU & Dukes are just down the road at 26 miles. But Merrimack is the #1 distance at 602 and Bryant at #2 with 568.

So I compared RMU's away NEC mileage for 2020.
Dukes/LIU/Bryant/Sacred Heart = 1,455 miles.

Lets say RMU was to play Monmouth's away Big South games, that mileage for 2020.
North Alabama/Hampton/Gardner-Webb = 1,642 miles.

Not too much of a yearly increase but the Big South is adding North Carolina A&T in 2021 (434 miles).

But again, we don't officially know anything. But damn this is fun to think about.

RMU actually doesn't have to increase scholarships with a move to the Big South.

Since RMU is scheduling MAC opponents, it has to offer the equivalent of the FCS max of 63 scholarships in order to be a bowl counter for those MAC opponents. Those teams wouldn't bother scheduling RMU unless they thought they could get an easy win to inch closer to a bowl game.

The difference will be in how RMU counts the scholarships. Instead of spreading 45 athletic scholarships and 18 academic/financial aid packages around, it can just offer 63 full scholarships.

As for other factors, travel will be better. Yes, getting to the NCAA tournament will be tougher, but the overall exposure will be better. Every game will be on ESPN+ and some games on ESPN/ESPN2.

And by playing games against schools with larger enrollment and alumni bases, you potentially draw more people to games at RMU. No reason not to expect YSU fans to make the trek or Cleveland State fans to come in. How many NEC opponents did that? Maybe 50 for St. Francis or the Mount.

If it happens, I like both moves. I am not certain but think there have been some offers to Georgia players in addition to they Florida players. Big South might be 2 spots higher than NEC, but Monmouth, KSU and when NCAT join those are 3 really good teams.

Hope the horizon league is good enough for Duq to do a home and home now. Know their coach said they wouldn't do home and home with NEC schools.

I doubt it will happen this year for football, but with Big South having 7 teams this year, it is possible to slide in this year and play them on their current bye weeks. That would start after the st. Francis game. I think when I looked at it earlier it was Monmouth and KSU first 2 weeks.

Again I think unlikely but possible.

If it happens, I like both moves. I am not certain but think there have been some offers to Georgia players in addition to they Florida players. Big South might be 2 spots higher than NEC, but Monmouth, KSU and when NCAT join those are 3 really good teams.

Hope the horizon league is good enough for Duq to do a home and home now. Know their coach said they wouldn't do home and home with NEC schools.

I doubt it will happen this year for football, but with Big South having 7 teams this year, it is possible to slide in this year and play them on their current bye weeks. That would start after the st. Francis game. I think when I looked at it earlier it was Monmouth and KSU first 2 weeks.

Again I think unlikely but possible.

Ya I was just gonna say how Dambrot at Duquesne didn’t want to play RMU due to being a lowly “NEC” school. Well we’re in a true mid major league now so let’s get it Scheduled!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT