ADVERTISEMENT

Next football HC

LetsGoRomo2

Aug 10, 2018
Short list of proven coaches with RMU connections. Benny at Westminster, Nulph at Edinboro, Farrison at Duq. There are likely many others that would be interested, 2 of them of have HC experience.

Doubt Farison ever looks at RMU again after the way he was treated at the end of the Banaszak era. Pretty sure Benzel was already considered the last time around and they went with Clark. Nulph probably not winning enough.

If they're going to stick with full scholarship football, they need to hire someone who can recruit and develop players for this level. Someone from YSU, Delaware, New Hampshire, etc.

Name that should be on RMU's radar - Manny Rojas.

West Allegheny grad. Current Delaware defensive coordinator. Extensive FCS coaching career for major programs, including Delaware, Richmond and Liberty.

Doubt Farison ever looks at RMU again after the way he was treated at the end of the Banaszak era. Pretty sure Benzel was already considered the last time around and they went with Clark. Nulph probably not winning enough.

If they're going to stick with full scholarship football, they need to hire someone who can recruit and develop players for this level. Someone from YSU, Delaware, New Hampshire, etc.
Believe their new OC is from YSU

Nulph may not have won a ton, but endinboro was pretty trash before he got there I believe. Coaches can coach, doesn’t matter what level. Rather a young hungry coach at a lower level than what we have been through.

Main point being, changes need made on multiple levels.

I think RMU needs to take a step back and review the entire season as a whole which I think they will.

1. Poor coverage by RMU with football. No reports, videos...etc leading up to the season. The lack of material for Game Notes, just a webpage and a never updated Depth Chart. I know they are short of staff but before RMU hammers that staff about their production on the field, lets make sure RMU to giving the football program the attention other programs get.

2. I don't think Clark goes anywhere but I think there is a meeting to ensure heading into next season expectations are set within the program.
  • What is your identity for your team? Strong Def? But what about the offense? The program lost Coach Gabe who coached the QBs and Off Coor. That really hurt the offense.
  • What about recruiting? 22 players on the roster are from PA. I'm seeing a lot of WPIAL talent out there yet RMU is not actively going after them that I see on Twitter.
    [Exmaple] Josh Jenkins, QB from McKees Rocks (6'3" 170lbs), is a great young QB. I'm sure RMU talked to him but they lost him to Holy Cross. Now Holy Cross is a great program and great academics but I thought he could have been a RMU QB to help this program.
  • They need to re-focus on the local WPIAL talent start and the transfer portal.
3. New Coaches brought in
  • I know the former coaches everyone loves and they were all great and all doing very well at their schools. If they are not going to be a HC then they won't be a coordinator.
  • So what do to do? It comes down to Offensive Coordinator for the 2023 season. What system do you want to bring in?
  • If we are making a wish list then I would want an OC from a top tier program with some experience and ready to make that next step.
  • Dan Larson, OL coach at North Dakota State. https://gobison.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/dan-larson/1820
  • You bring in Coach Larson to run the OL and OC or just the OC and take pieces of that NDSU system to Moon Township.
  • But there is an issue with that right away. RMU is small. RMU is alway smaller than everyone they play. So you need to recruit or bring in some size along the OL and bring in a true FB.
I'm not sure what the answer will be. There is a lot of work to do. But I think what needs to be determined is what Clark wants to be his team's identity on the field. Offensively, there is nothing there.

They didn’t “lose gabe”, at least from what I know, they made Gabe get lost.

You are right that there is no identity on O at all. Many players (scholarship dollars) will be leaving. The “buy” games this year and scheduled for next few, should allow them them to at least be close to full scholarship. So, next year will likely be full of transfers and jucos if they keep clark. He won’t be able to rely on freshman if job is on the line next year which you would think it would have to be if he is not let go before.

Again, none of it will matter without wholesale coaching changes at least on offense.

Not sure what the AD contract is, think has another year or this the last. New president might want new AD (lots of assumptions there) make call on new coach.

Clark never got an extension, so he might not be under contract beyond this season. He was hired at the end of the 2017 season. I'd be surprised if he got more than a four or five year deal - 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 (maybe a one-year, silent extension because COVID essentially canceled 2020).

King was hired in 2019. Going by fiscal year, that's 2019-20, 2020-21, 2021-22. Have to imagine he has a couple more years. And RMU isn't in position to fire many people and eat their contracts.

Coaching staff was busy today offering guys in the transfer portal. So either they've been given another year or RMU is inexplicably slow-playing this.

When they canned Banaszak it was the Monday following the last game of the year. Bunch of other FCS coaches got the chop today. But all is quiet at RMU.

He must be under contract for next year. No reason to not have made a move yesterday if they were going to.

Anyone have a list of players transferring out?

Not sure if this is new, but Josh Firm’s Twitter account lists him as OC/QB coach. RMU athletic webpage lists him as RB coach.

Twitter: @coachjfirm

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT