ADVERTISEMENT

NEC Football Awards

OMRC, you have any info on possible conference moves? All I can figure for football is Big South or Pioneer. I think it hinges on BBall.

I have not heard anything this season so far.
With football having a great season helps for sure. Just need men’s basketball to step up this year.
I personally think the possible best new conference for RMU would be the Patriot league.

I have not heard anything this season so far.
With football having a great season helps for sure. Just need men’s basketball to step up this year.
I personally think the possible best new conference for RMU would be the Patriot league.
I don't think RMU has the academic profile that the Patriot League is looking for

Agreed,. Academics are improving but likely not where Patriot wants them. Shame because geographically and facility wise would be perfect. Also I think all of Patriot is private so another good fit.

Dream would be CAA but they are mostly if not all public.

A10 would be great for bball etc, but likely not realistic due to bball struggling of late.

I think best hope sine MAAC fell through is America east and pioneer or big south for football.

Agreed,. Academics are improving but likely not where Patriot wants them. Shame because geographically and facility wise would be perfect. Also I think all of Patriot is private so another good fit.

Dream would be CAA but they are mostly if not all public.

A10 would be great for bball etc, but likely not realistic due to bball struggling of late.

I think best hope sine MAAC fell through is America east and pioneer or big south for football.
America East wouldn't help geographically. It's really not that much different than the NEC in terms of profile, either.

The MAAC was appealing because it has a history of being a solid mid-major conference with the outside possibility of getting an at-large bid every once in a while. But they slipped last year and even this year don't look much better than the NEC to start.

I think RMU is going to have to sit tight, focus on winning across the athletic department, and see where things stand in a few years.

I thought bball wise the America east was significantly better than NEC?
Not really. Last year it was 25th in conference RPI while the NEC was 28th. It's usually in the low to mid 20s, while the NEC is in the mid to high 20s.

The MAAC, by comparison, spent a lot of the last decade in the teens in conference RPI. But it's really slipped the past two years.

What's helped the America East's profile is that the right team has won the league the last few years. Vermont won 27 games last year, beat some decent teams, and earned a No. 13 seed.

Of course, UMBC won two years ago, still only got a No. 16 seed but pulled the massive upset over Virginia.

So you usually have a 25-win team win the league, but you also have over half the league with close to 20 losses.

Ok thanks for info. Thinking the Vermont's and umbcs run might have been influencing my thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT