ADVERTISEMENT

Guard Rasheem Dunn has left the RMU program

Just a mess.

Guessing Toole will be pretty much done with the transfer portal. Really backfired. Team is down to nine scholarship players plus a walk-on.

I don't think it matters - coach losses players every year regardless of how they ended up here. Back in the Durham era most of our stars were local kids who transferred here to return close to home. Not sure if Stone would be in that category since I think he moved during high school. A few local kids recruited out of HS or later would be welcome. Matty stayed all 4 years and his family was present every game.

I don't think it matters - coach losses players every year regardless of how they ended up here. Back in the Durham era most of our stars were local kids who transferred here to return close to home. Not sure if Stone would be in that category since I think he moved during high school. A few local kids recruited out of HS or later would be welcome. Matty stayed all 4 years and his family was present every game.
There just aren't the caliber of players in the area. There's a handful each year.

Local kids have to want to stay local, too. Lot of them want out.

There is some talent in the WPIAL and when you read about them some big schools have recruited them along with the Duquesne. The Dukes have been aggressive with local talent. RMU, not so much as least from what the media is reporting.

There is some talent in the WPIAL and when you read about them some big schools have recruited them along with the Duquesne. The Dukes have been aggressive with local talent. RMU, not so much as least from what the media is reporting.
Duquesne has had some, but they haven't stuck.

The only Western Pa. guy on the roster this year is a walk-on. Last year, Duquesne had Jett Roesing and Maceo Austin. Roesing transferred and Austin left the team after taking time off for personal reasons. The year before, James Ellis and Sincere Carry both transferred.

So they have had some local guys, but they're not staying more than a year or two.

Toole brought in Mattia Acunzo (Kennedy Catholic in Sharon) and Brandon Stone (Southmoreland). Acunzo is already gone. Stone looks like he's going to stick, at least for a bit.

For 2022, Duquesne and RMU both offered Butlers' Devin Carney. He's going to Elon. The only other D-I locals are all from basketball academy First Love, and those players aren't actually from the Pittsburgh area. Adou Thiero from Quaker Valley has an offer or two, none from RMU or Duquesne.

For 2023, Rodney Gallagher, the top prospect from Laurel Highlands, just announced he's focusing on football.

For 2024, RMU and Duquesne have both already offered Royce Parham from North Hills. Brandin Cummings of Lincoln Park has a few scholarships, but none from RMU or Duquesne.

All of this is to say that it's not a huge pool to draw from. Yes, there are some D-I players each year, but usually no more than 4 or 5 per year. After that, it becomes about fit, and I'm not sure RMU has really, truly missed on anyone in that area.

I also don't think that having local players improves attendance. Matty McConnell was here and it wasn't like RMU was selling out every night. Winning games against teams people care about is what draws people in. No one cared about anyone other than SFU and the Mount in the NEC unless it was a tournament game. The first two years in the Horizon have been impacted by COVID and crappy play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT