ADVERTISEMENT

Free no more

I am not trying to be political at all. But this absurd, and I am ashamed the school caved to this.

Won't be long till it is not Robert Morris anymore if they cave like this.

Reactions: Wurst_2_furst
I don't get it either. Wondered the same thing if the school name will be offensive to someone next.

Last edited:
I think it's unlikely anything will progress beyond the ID card. There is enough positive spin that can be done with Robert Morris and Colonials, as long as it's done in a respective way.

Part of the problem is we spend so much time lionizing historical figures like the Founding Fathers that we forget that they were flawed human beings living in a very different world.

I personally look at men like Robert Morris or Thomas Jeffers in a very different light than Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee.

I get it. I'm okay with the change. It's just the ID card. The term Colonial is probably more offensive. Colonists came and took land from others. The mascot and athletic logo are both white men.

In all honesty, RMU is in a tough spot for folks who are sensitive to historical figures or gender depiction. Lots of buildings named after people who may have owned slaves or held racist views. Might want to get some donors lined up to rename buildings. Only 1.5 buildings named after women.

I get it. I'm okay with the change. It's just the ID card. The term Colonial is probably more offensive. Colonists came and took land from others. The mascot and athletic logo are both white men.

In all honesty, RMU is in a tough spot for folks who are sensitive to historical figures or gender depiction. Lots of buildings named after people who may have owned slaves or held racist views. Might want to get some donors lined up to rename buildings. Only 1.5 buildings named after women.
It gets complex when we look at these individuals.

Look at John Jay, who had the old basketball arena named after him. It now serves another purpose on campus.

Jay owned slaves. He owned them even when he signed "An Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery" into law as NY Governor.

Our history is messy. I think stuff like this should be discussed, but as much as the statue/name stuff has gotten the attention, my guess is that people of color would much rather the focus be on what's being done to actually erase institutional racism rather than just changing some names on buildings.

It gets complex when we look at these individuals.

Look at John Jay, who had the old basketball arena named after him. It now serves another purpose on campus.

Jay owned slaves. He owned them even when he signed "An Act for the Gradual Abolition of Slavery" into law as NY Governor.

Our history is messy. I think stuff like this should be discussed, but as much as the statue/name stuff has gotten the attention, my guess is that people of color would much rather the focus be on what's being done to actually erase institutional racism rather than just changing some names on buildings.

agreed.
All of this hoopla is “plastic”. Let’s get to the root cause of the problem. Existing social barriers need to be addressed. Not statues or flags.
Our founding fathers lived in a society of completely different values and customs. They lived “the old norm”, and built the greatest economic and social empire of its time, in spite of their shortcomings.
IOP, great efforts and accomplishments should not go erased because of ever changing social structuring. There is a place for honoring great accomplishments and preserving not only the good in historical events, also the worst of cultural history.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT