ADVERTISEMENT

Five Programs that Could Replace Valpo in Horizon League

Great to be mentioned. The arena already paying off. Doubt the valley would be interested in rmu football, hopefully a good showing at ndsu might help.

While I think the Patriot league would be best that maybe a pipe dream. Being mentioned is great for the schools profile when other spots open up if this doesn't pan out.

While I think the Patriot league would be best that maybe a pipe dream. Being mentioned is great for the schools profile when other spots open up if this doesn't pan out.

Of the article written above on the 5 schools, I would think RMU would have a pretty dang good shot to get in.

With a new arena coming, a solid & respected Head Coach, lots of past succes & a region (Pittsburgh) that the Horizon can expand into, I think they could be at the top of the list.

If Belmont would want in tho, then it could get harder. But they might be fine with being an upper tier school in the OVC.

Pulled the below update from another message board:

For what it's worth, Commissioner Jonathan LeCrone, in today's Horizon League press conference, said the League will more than likely stay at 9 teams for the '17-'18 season. He said it could be possible to get a 10th team in for next season, but in all probability, they'll stay at 9. By '19-'20, he's saying the HL should be at 12 teams. He also said the HL's financial status is quite robust...they've got money!

He said the HL can't go any farther North. They are looking East, South, Southeast, Soutwest and West. "...current membership plan could contemplate moving out of our current geographic region". To alleviate huge travel burdens, the HL would go to divisions.

He said the HL's thinking on expansion is, "...a merging brand, existing good basketball brands and the timing as well...". He mentioned that there was a change in the NCAA revenue distribution structure and those funds would be distributed by academics. He wants the new members to be able to qualify for that revenue. Competitiveness, Academics and the ability to garner that Financial Revenue Stream are the bigger factors than geography.

With that being said, I'm thinking GCU (a merging brand), NMSU and Robert Morris (existing good basketball brands) are still in the mix

Pulled the below update from another message board:

Good find.

Sounds like from this we will at least be in the NEC for this upcoming year (which I am fine with).

RMU has like at least a 10-20% chance to get in the HL or higher IMO...

Glad to hear more about RMU having a decent shot.

If hl goes to 12, and rmu can get a good season, I'd put the chances much higher than 20 to be invited. If they accept, I don't know.

I think if they add on for this baseball will be a big consideration for rest of league. Seems to be good balance of private and public schools in hl, and do not under estimate the importance of that balance. Not sure how many privates are being considered.

Last edited:
If hl goes to 12, and rmu can get a good season, I'd put the chances much higher than 20 to be invited. If they accept, I don't know.

I think if they add on for this baseball will be a big consideration for rest of league. Seems to be good balance of private and public schools in hl, and do not under estimate the importance of that balance. Not sure how many privates are being considered.

Ya if the Horizon goes to 12 teams & RMU does so well this year, then the chances definitely sky far above 20% IMO.

Hopefully we can do good this year regardless of the league we're in.

Go RMU

I have a feeling they will get invite, ie chances above 50, lacrosse and football need to be sorted out though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT