ADVERTISEMENT

Bramah not with team

RMU_Fan

Dec 7, 2011
AJ did not make the trip for the weekend games and is "taking a break from team activities". Team loses 79-70 without the Horizon's leading scorer.

AJ did not make the trip for the weekend games and is "taking a break from team activities". Team loses 79-70 without the Horizon's leading scorer.
Broadcast later said he was on pause, which means it's likely COVID related.

Tribune Review

On Tuesday, Toole said that Bramah’s status was “day-to-day,” adding that “AJ just needed to take a breather.”

“What makes AJ who he is is his competitive nature,” Toole said. “Losing doesn’t sit well with him, but sometimes we all have to handle our frustrations. It’s just that every situation is different.”

AJ was back with similar results, a double double and an OT loss. Chris and Jimmy said he appeared winded after missing practice and games but still had good stats. Jon hit a long 3 as time expired to send it to OT. Other than that the Colonials have had a tough time hitting big shots late in games. Seven losses in a row is not what anyone expected. The Horizon is definitely better competition but that doesn't explain it. They're missing open shots, turning the ball over and not playing D like they typically do.

I think the multiple paused and time away from the court is an obvious issue.

This team is so far behind the others. YSU has played five more conference games and six more total games than RMU. Even when RMU has played, they haven't had a full complement of players.

Williams and Treacy missed time because of COVID. Cheeks missed time because of COVID. Speaker wasn't eligible for the early part of the season. Bain was hurt. Bramah stepped away.

In all honesty, to take multiple teams to OT and have a bunch of close losses shows the talent on this team. They just have to get the details down.

I think the multiple paused and time away from the court is an obvious issue.

This team is so far behind the others. YSU has played five more conference games and six more total games than RMU. Even when RMU has played, they haven't had a full complement of players.

Williams and Treacy missed time because of COVID. Cheeks missed time because of COVID. Speaker wasn't eligible for the early part of the season. Bain was hurt. Bramah stepped away.

In all honesty, to take multiple teams to OT and have a bunch of close losses shows the talent on this team. They just have to get the details down.
I wish I thought they were close and just behind because of lost time but sorry to say I don't think that's all it is.

I wish I thought they were close and just behind because of lost time but sorry to say I don't think that's all it is.
They could use a perimeter scorer, but I think in a normal season we'd be looking at a Top 5 team in the Horizon.

Bramah is transferring.

Technically he'd have another year of eligibility because of COVID. Really strange timing, though.

That is a big impact for the Colonials. Another big time player walking out the door.

That is a big impact for the Colonials. Another big time player walking out the door.
Maybe there's some solace in the fact that he's essentially a grad transfer, rather than an underclassman transferring like Reed, Burke, Still, etc.

But it definitely torpedoes their hopes of any sort of turnaround and little tournament run this year.

Andy Toole seems to be cursed - he finds these players who are relatively under the radar, they flourish at RMU, and then they leave.

I never expected AJ to be back next year, I just figured he would be playing for pay somewhere, most likely in Europe. Maybe he thinks if he takes another year of college ball at a top tier program he will have a shot at the NBA. I don't see why he would leave without finishing the remaining games this season, he must be quite unhappy about something. He gave us a lot of great moments and helped get us a championship. I wish him well. I don't see this as a loss for RMU, as I said, I never expected him back next season. There really is not much to salvage from this season, so the team may as well start preparing to compete without AJ.

Last edited:
AJ's departing words show a lot of class. He has been the most athletic and dynamic inside player I recall at RMU. I wish him well.

The team actually looked better last night in their first game after AJ leaving. I thought they played much better defense in their 2 OT victory. Six different players were in double figures and another with 9. Makes you think some players were deferring to AJ or looking to him to be the one who made a play when they needed it. Nice gutsy win that came at the perfect time.

Nothing like a win to improve to improve the mood and outlook.

I wish AJ the best but leaving your team during the season would normally being labeled as quitting on your team. Now we don't know the 'why' for reasoning he decided to move on.

I'm hoping we find out more details from this interview.

I wish AJ the best but leaving your team during the season would normally being labeled as quitting on your team. Now we don't know the 'why' for reasoning he decided to move on.

I'm hoping we find out more details from this interview.

Yeah, it really doesn't sit well with me, either. Maybe there are some extenuating circumstances, but if it's just because of the losing, there are numerous benefits to sticking out the season and then moving on afterward.

AJ has announced his top four finalists: Nevada, St Bonnie, Arizona St and Western Kentucky. It would be interesting if we end up swapping forwards with Mark Schmidt's program.

In his consideration of Bonaventure AJ better be sure that he will be in the starting lineup.
Schmidt plays his starters 35 minutes or more every game. There's not much playing time for anyone else.
That is probably why Winston left.

Wonder if Toole and Hurley talked, given their background and past connections. Heck, I wonder if Toole even recommended ASU to Bramah once the two connected.

Pgh Sports now reports that Bramah has de-committed from ASU. I see speculation that Nevada could be a good fit. They were one of his finalists, and they also had a transfer forward decommit so they have a need for him.

Last edited:
Pgh Sports now reports that Bramah has de-committed from ASU. I see speculation that Nevada could be a good fit. They were one of his finalists, and they also had a transfer forward decommit so they have a need for him.
He did end up at Nevada.

Former Colonial AJ Bramah was the first overall pick of Wednesday's Liga Nacional de Baloncesto (LNB) draft, the Dominican Republic's top pro league. Bramah was dismissed from the Nevada team just a handful of games into the season. I hope he gets it together.

ADVERTISEMENT