ADVERTISEMENT

New basketball commitment

ColonialInsider

Aug 26, 2017
Well, this is interesting. DJ Russell, a junior college recruit who is averaging 19.6 points per game and 11 rebounds per game, just committed to RMU.

He joins Olisa Ngonadi, who signed his letter of intent in the fall. And RMU also is supposed to have Elijah Kiah-El, a non-qualifier who was supposed to enroll and attend classes for a year before joining the team.

I've seen RMU is also recruiting a fair amount of high school guards. So it seems they intend to add at least one guard to the class.

That'd be as many as four scholarships for newcomers, but RMU only has two scholarships available (Petteway and McConnell). If I had to guess, Kiah-El isn't in the picture anymore and so Ngonadi took his spot. RMU was always going to add a guard to replace McConnell. And since David Cole isn't playing, maybe that's a sign he'll be headed elsewhere and so RMU got a spot for Russell.

Unfortunately, Koby's spot could end up in play too. Would be nice if Russell were bigger but those are solid JC numbers. Also remember we have 3 star recruit Philmon Gebrewhit already on campus. I look to him for much needed scoring.

Last edited:
Gebrewht should benefit from sitting out this year and practicing with the team. From the little bit that I know of him and seen of him, he can really shoot. A high percentage outside shooter can always help.

Gebrewht should benefit from sitting out this year and practicing with the team. From the little bit that I know of him and seen of him, he can really shoot. A high percentage outside shooter can always help.

Yes. A natural scorer is very much needed on this team.

Him & Josh Williams playing alside each other could help Josh become more open & have less weight on his shoulders offensively.

Well, this is interesting. DJ Russell, a junior college recruit who is averaging 19.6 points per game and 11 rebounds per game, just committed to RMU.

He joins Olisa Ngonadi, who signed his letter of intent in the fall. And RMU also is supposed to have Elijah Kiah-El, a non-qualifier who was supposed to enroll and attend classes for a year before joining the team.

I've seen RMU is also recruiting a fair amount of high school guards. So it seems they intend to add at least one guard to the class.

That'd be as many as four scholarships for newcomers, but RMU only has two scholarships available (Petteway and McConnell). If I had to guess, Kiah-El isn't in the picture anymore and so Ngonadi took his spot. RMU was always going to add a guard to replace McConnell. And since David Cole isn't playing, maybe that's a sign he'll be headed elsewhere and so RMU got a spot for Russell.

Also worth noting that Russell is ranked in the top 100 JUCO players from 2019. I think Petteway made the list in 2017 as well.

Yes. A natural scorer is very much needed on this team.

Him & Josh Williams playing alside each other could help Josh become more open & have less weight on his shoulders offensively.
These two plus DJ Russell will give us three former 3-star recruits next year.

Verbal Commits shows that RMU has offered two JUCO SG over the past day or two.

Disappointed to see that Ja'mier Fletcher, 6'7 PF from First Love and the son of a former RM player, has verbally committed to Wagner. I hoped he'd stay home if he didn't go higher.

Per Verbal Commits, RMU has offered 6'2 Juco SG Demarkus Lampley. He looks like just the kind of scorer we need. Averages 26 ppg while shooting 48% overall, 42% from 3 and 89% from the line. Averaged 18 as a freshman. Come play in our brand new arena Demarkus!

Dang!

Alums can’t let their kids go to NEC rivals!
BTW I think I saw the other day that Ngonadi has slightly better stats than Fletcher. They played each other and presumably similar competition. Seems that both are more defense & rebound oriented at this point, so probably comparable players.

Per Verbal Commits, RMU has offered 6'2 Juco SG Demarkus Lampley. He looks like just the kind of scorer we need. Averages 26 ppg while shooting 48% overall, 42% from 3 and 89% from the line. Averaged 18 as a freshman. Come play in our brand new arena Demarkus!

Sounds great!

Sounds like what would be a great potential add.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT