ADVERTISEMENT

Elijah Minnie to return to RMU

ColonialCrazy

Oct 28, 2011
According to Mike Vulovcan, forward Elijah Minnie will return to Robert Morris for his sophomore season. After losing Marcquise Reed, this is a huge development for the program.

Much more on this soon.

In my eyes, this easily solidifies RMU as the top team going into the NEC next year. They have the best coach, the best player (Rodney Pryor) and perhaps the best point guard. I also don't believe there will be three power forwards better than Elijah Minnie next season. With the way he ended the year and the athletic skill set he possess, Minnie has a chance to develop into something really, really special.

There will be an adjustment period. Next year, Minnie is going to be the #2 player atop every teams scouting report. Some of those wide open three's he got at the end of the season after popping on the pick and roll will be guarded better. Certainly, he has to work on his handle as he relies more on himself to create. Working on a back to the basket game wouldn't hurt, either.

Still, great news for Robert Morris and not anything that was completely unexpected. I had several people text me after the news of his release broke that were confident he would be coming back, and he did.

Early projection on RMU's starting 5 next year:
PG Kavon Stewart
SG: Matty McConnell
G: Rodney Pryor
F: Elijah Minnie
F: Aaron Tate

I see 6-6 freshman Isaiah Still being the first guy off the bench. He has a skill set that mocks Lucky Jones' in terms of defense and rebounding.

This is really, really great news!
I agree with your current projected lineup. I do expect that Toole and staff will try to bring in a JUCO scorer that will be able to immediately compete for the starting position at SG. I am excited about Matty, even if he does not start, he will be getting plenty of minutes. He will come in well prepared for D-1 from the start of conditioning drills, to practices to games.

We could go with a bigger lineup, start Still at the 3, and Rodney at the 2.

I have high hopes that Andre Frederick will take a big step up next year. We saw flashes of his abilities. If his birthdate is correct on the RMU website, he is an extremely young freshman, most players his age are still in high school.

It's only a verbal commit, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Joe Hugley, 6-7 forward from Magruder High in Maryland. Played for the top AAU team in the D.C. area. Joe could be a nice signing for Andy & Co.

Edit: Just noticed it was posted in the Powder Keg. My apologies.

This post was edited on 4/9 9:53 AM by RMU2007

Hey Chris, how is it that Mike Vulovcan got the scoop before you?
smile.r191677.gif
Just kidding.

The return of Minnie is huge.

Not only will he be a great player, but it gives Andy Toole the one key thing he needs in that new 2-3 zone. A guy with tons of length that can guard the wings, but also protect the basket. With Joe Hugley (6-7, athletic wing) coming in, along with Isaiah Still (6-6 athletic wing), you can see what Andy Toole wants to do. Attack teams with along, athletic lineup that can also guard all places on the floor. The length and athleticism that next year's team will be dynamic. Maybe the longest team 1 through 5 that Andy has ever had.

Offensively, I don't worry too much. Pryor is maybe the best offensive player in the league, Stewart seemed like he figured things out in the NEC tournament, and Minnie gives RMU the stretch 4 needed to expand the defense and let the aforementioned two attack of the bounce without giants waiting in the paint. McConnell should be able to stretch teams with his shooting. I think he slides into the Karvel Anderson (junior year) role. Shoot the hell out of the ball and keep teams honest.

Still need to add another scoring two, and a backup point guard, but gotta love the direction of the team now that one of the key building blocks with remain in Moon. Andy has a few more scholarships to work with, and history says he will use them wisely.

This post was edited on 4/9 2:25 PM by ColonialCrazy

By the way, should Elijah and Matty both wind up in the starting lineup, it will be the first time in decades that two WPIAL players have done so. Although, that's going from memory, so I could be wrong.

That could be a good trivia question for the followers of Colonials Corner - when was the last time the Colonials started two players from the WPIAL. Follow up question, who were the players?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT