ADVERTISEMENT

Big Board: 2015/2016 men's basketball recruiting

ColonialCrazy

Oct 28, 2011
Current 2015 roster:

PG: Kavon Stewart (junior)
SG: Rodney Pryor (senior, pursuing one more year of eligibility)
SF:
PF: Elijah Minnie (sophomore), Stephan Bennett (senior)
C: Aaron Tate (senior), Andre Frederick (sophomore), Lionel Gomis (senior)

Incoming 2015 freshman, committed/signed:

SG: Matty McConnell (Signed LOI, Bridgeville, PA)
SF: Isaiah Still (Signed LOI, Roselle, NJ), Joe Hugley (Verbal, Rockville, MD)

Potential 2015 recruits:

PG Nassir Barrino (6-0), Jersey City NJ: Hudson Catholic

2016 Targets:
G/F Charlie Brown (6-6), Mount Zion (MD): Mount Zion Christian Academy
PF J.J. Matthews, Jr. (6-8), Midlothian (VA): Millwood High School
G Nazeer Bostick (6-4) Philadelphia (PA): Roman Catholic
G Austin Harriot (6-4) Philadelphia (PA): Germantown Friends High School

Current Analysis:

As you can see from the current 2015 roster, there is a lot of remaining holes at the guard and wing positions. The three current commits help fill some of those holes. McConnell should be able to play/help the PG and SG role. Isaiah Still can also play on the wing, while Hugley is more of a big man. Much like Elijah Minnie, he should be able to play the three on the defensive end and use his length on the wings of the 2-3 zone, should RMU employ that defensive scheme again next season.

The transfers of Marcquise Reed and Jarius Lyles still leave a huge gap at the SG position. That will be a big focus for the coaching staff as the spring recruiting period opens up. The JuCo route will be explored, and RMU has found some gems (Karvel Anderson, Rodney Pryor). As AAU tournaments heat up, and offers start to pour in, expect a few more commits to the class of 2015.

As for 2016, Andy Toole and the staff have already started offering to-be high school seniors. With Bennett, Tate, Gomis and possibly Pryor expected to graduate after this season, RMU will have a good amount of scholarships to play with going forward.

The Colonials have recently offered Brown (4/13), Matthews Jr (4/13), and Austin Harriot (4/14) with Bostick picking up an offer a few months ago.
Updated as of April 14th, 2015

Another 2016 offer is in: 2016 G (5-10) Jeremy Carter Shepherd, (Richmond, VA): John Marshall High School

Carter Shepherd has offers from Cincinnati, Xavier, Duquesne, and Mount St. Mary's according to verbal commits. The 5-10 point guard is known as an "Outstanding" shooter and already has a decent amount of high major interest.

He joins class of 2016 recruits G/F Charlie Brown, PF J.J. Matthews, Jr., G Nazeer Bostick, G Austin Harriot, all offered by RMU in the last few days outside of Bostick.

UPDATE: 2pm, 4/15/15:

Another 2016 offer. 2016 SF Anthony Lamb (6-5) Rochester (NY): Greece Athena High School

Lamb is along guard who has offers from Charlotte, Buffalo, Fairfield, Iona, Canisius, and Stony Brook according to verbal commits. "RT: City Rocks 2016 F @antlamb0120 Picked up an offer from Robert Morris today"

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/anthony-lamb

UPDATE: 5:15pm, 4/15/15:

The 2016 offers continue to roll in: 2016 G Maliek White (6-2) Richmond, (VA): George Wythe High School

White, a crafty guard with decent size, has offers from Drexel, Towson, Fairfield, and Hofstra, amount others according to Verbal Commits. He also has a lot on interest from some high major schools but no offers from any power offers at this moment.

UPDATE: 9:20pm, 4/16/15: Another few 2016 offers:

G Shawn Montague (6-5) Yorktown Heights (NY): Canterbury School

Montague picked up offers from Canisius and Seton Hall as well, according to Adam Finkelstein of ESPN. He has great size for a two guard, and clearly has some talent as he was offered by a high major in Seton Hall.

G Nick Brooks (6-1) Franklin Park, (NJ): Vermont Academy

Brooks picked up his offer after the Elite 8 Spring Jamfest. He also picked up offers from CCSU, LIU Brooklyn, Rider and FDU among others according to verbal commits. A lot of NEC competition here.

G Tareq Coburn (6-5) Rosedale (NY): Benjamin N. Cardozo High School

Coburn has offers from St. Francis Brooklyn and Drexel on the table, according to verbal commits. Coburn can really score it and brings a lot of versatility to the table. He's another guard on a list that is quickly growing.

Analysis: Robert Morris lost some young guards this season (Kinsey, Reed, Appolon) and lost Anderson and Myers-Pate the year prior. Young guards are clearly at the top of the list for the 2016 list. Counting these three offers, RMU is up to nine offers and seven of them are guards (per-twitter reports and Verbal Commits, which can be spotty). The other two are wings who could certainly play some at the two guard. These leads me to think that RMU is aiming for a JuCo guard or one year graduate transfer for one or more of their remaining three spots in the class of 2015. Pryor and McConnell remain the only shooting guards on the 2015/16 roster at the moment, and Stewart is the only point.
This post was edited on 4/16 10:09 PM by ColonialCrazy

Thanks for the updates on the 2016 prospects, but chances are the majority of these guys will never wind up in a Colonials' uniform. We are now in the spring signing period for 2015 recruits, RMU has a few scholarships available and some holes to fill for the 2015/2016 season. The coaches must be bringing in players for visits now. What do you know about 2015 players RMU is targeting?

News on the 2015 front has been pretty slow after Hughley. I'll try and get an update as soon as possible

GoRMU, I've been looking all over for 2015 news and haven't seen much. That leads me to think RMU is looking the JuCo and or graduate transfer route.

I reached out to coach Coach Toole about a week ago and he wanted to wait a few weeks before going over a lot of this stuff. Since then, Minnie has come back, Marcquise hasn't, he's gotten an extension, and my guess is the staff has watched 83756867857894 AAU games.

It's a very busy time, and my guess would be we get some 2015 news shortly. A lot of college transfers and JuCo players are finishing their semesters up. They can really only visit schools on the weekends (Marcquise is a great example, as he will be at Tulsa this weekend). With only two guys on the roster who are shooting guards (McConnell, Pryor) that will certainly be a priority. Toole may also choose to hold on to a scholarship until next season so he has a few more to play with.

All good and reasonable comments, except for the last one.

"Toole may also choose to hold on to a scholarship until next season so he has a few more to play with."

Given the recent history of turnover, likely there will be enough open scholarships again next year. It is better that we start the season with a full roster of scholarship players so that enough of them are still around to finish the season.

I think that really all depends on the type of players that the program/Toole wants to bring in, and their availability.

If he feels comfortable with his roster, and feels he has enough depth (certainly need two more guards right now), why give a player who really isn't a fit, or more so, isn't good enough a scholarship just to bring in another body?

I'm not saying this will happen, or even that it has been talked about. I do think RMU will bring in another three players this offseason because there are so many options still out there at the moment, and Andy usually gets his guys. Simply saying it's one option that could happen if things dry up over the next few weeks, and the staff thinks they can bring in a better player in 2016, rather than a guy who won't play or fit right now.

Right now, there are seven players on the roster, three commits (10 total) and three more open spots. Bring in two more guards and there are 12 scholarship players. 5 guards, 3 wings, and 4 forwards. That would leave one extra that could be used next season. I personally think that would be more than enough bodies, ever with an injury or another mid-season transfer.

Again though, I see what you're saying, and I think they will try to bring in three players that can impact the team right away.
This post was edited on 4/17 2:54 PM by ColonialCrazy

By the way, Congrats on breaking the story on the Board approval for the fundraising effort for the new arena! I suspect one day in the future you will bring your grandkids to an RMU game, and you will tell them about the day Grandpa broke the story about the new arena when he was still a student! Anyway, it's really cool that you got the scoop!
smile.r191677.gif

2015 update. 6-0 SG Kameron Murrell (Long Beach CA, IMG Academy) has received an offer from the Colonials. Murrell can play both the point and shooting guard, and has offers from George Mason and Fairfield according to Verbal Commits. Highlight tape here: Kam Murrell

The Colonials also offered 2015 6-5 G Dante Scott (Smyrna GA, IMG Academy). He has some high major interest from Mississippi State George Mason and UMASS. At 6-5, he has some very good size for a two-guard. Highlights here: Dante Scott

As expected, RMU is targeting guards to fill out the 2015 class. Neither have committed but should soon as the spring period.

15 JuCo 6-6 forward Billy Giles committed to RMU. He will have two years of eligibility and will join a crowded front court this upcoming season. A lot of bodies fro Toole to work with. Much more on Giles and the roster soon.

Robert Morris received a commitment from 2015 guard Steven Whitley out of Fork Union Military Academy. Whitley had offers from UMES and Grambling State.

He is a 6-3 guard who will have opportunities to contribute right away.

The updated class includes:

SG: Matty McConnell (Signed LOI, Bridgeville, PA) Steven Whitley (Verbal, Norfolk, VA)
SF: Isaiah Still (Signed LOI, Roselle, NJ), Joe Hugley (Signed LOI, Rockville, MD)
PF: Billy Giles (Verbal, Richmond, VA)

Robert Morris has one more scholarship to offer in the 2015 class.

Last edited:
Robert Morris received a commitment from 2015 guard Steven Whitley out of Fork Union Military Academy. Whitley had offers from UMES and Grambling State.

He is a 6-3 guard who will have opportunities to contribute right away.

The updated class includes:

SG: Matty McConnell (Signed LOI, Bridgeville, PA) Steven Whitley (Verbal, Norfolk, VA)
SF: Isaiah Still (Signed LOI, Roselle, NJ), Joe Hugley (Signed LOI, Rockville, MD)
PF: Billy Giles (Verbal, Richmond, VA)

Robert Morris has one more scholarship to offer in the 2015 class.

You are missing one. The class is complete. You have not checked the Powder Keg lately.

Thoughts on the class? I like it. Hard to tell as a lot of these guys dont have a ton of information out there, but seems balanced, deep, and athletic from the few videos/stats available. A lot of competition for minutes, that's for sure!

In the coaching staff we trust, they continue to bring in quality players. We knew almost nothing about Rodney at this point last year and he will likely be preseason NEC POY this year. Obviously, McConnell is the best known of the group since he is local and had such a prolific HS career at CV. All accounts have Still being ready to contribute out of the gate. Giles' stats jump off the page. The other three all fill areas of need and, hopefully, will have long successful careers here. Lots to be optimistic about heading into next year. Congrats to Andy and staff on a job well done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT